my diary post of two significant days

august 30th 2021

      Today was the day I was hired for the job I had always dreamed about.  It is a public school in New York City on the Upper east side where I will be teaching kindergarten through fifth-grade art.  It was a very competitive position and I feel blessed for landing it. When I went in for the interview I met a few of the other teachers and they all felt very nice and supportive, people I could get along with. And the principal was wonderful, she seems like a powerful woman who is innovated and truly cares for the students.  We talked about ideas on how to utilize the resources in the city for some of the projects and taking field trips to museums like M.O.M.A or the Guggenheim. The school offers a lot of money for things we may need and seems very well funded and willing to be flexible on creating a unique way for the students to learn about and experience art.  I am very excited to be working in such a well-equipped environment and to have access to all of these things. Going from inner-city public schools in Philadelphia to this will be a very different experience indeed.  I live about a 20-minute subway ride away in a very small apartment to which I just moved into. Hopefully, between my new school and home, I will get to learn the city better and maybe even find a place to rent some studio space in. I would love to have some of my work in a gallery so that will be the next thing on my to-do list.

may 3rd 2022
Goodmorning!! Today I received some wonderful news my a few of my paintings are going to be put up in a local gallery!!! This is very exciting to me because this is the first time my art will be for sale and shown in a small gallery that no one really knows about. The painting is part of a series I had been working on from that has to deal with poverty and education. It is very important to me because these this is what I have dedicated my life doing and it means more to me than anything. I think it is artist job to documents and share our views on what is going on in the world especially specific issues that we feel strongly about.  People understand and connect to art in a different way than just seeing something on the news or in the paper.  For me, this was a big accomplishment because I feel like I am able to give something to this world that will maybe bring light to education and poverty in a way they haven't seen before.  This is why I love my job as an art teacher so much, I am able to teach kids about the world and their surroundings through an unconventional way of thinking and help make a generation that is better than the one before it.

Comments